nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry leaves; now Black Currant choices

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberry leaves; now Black Currant choices
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 22:15:05 -0400

Dave wrote about 'Ben Sarek':
"Looks like good reasons for me to try it here in Spokane, zone 6."

Dave,
Glad you are willing to grow more black currants. Very reliable fruit
in much of the US.
As someone who's evaluated black currants and gooseberries in Oregon
and TN, I can attest that how a certain cultivar performs in the
eastern US can be quite different than how it does in the Pacific NW.
Others such as Lee Reich and Ed Mashburn have noted that, too. For
info on what currants do well in your area, I'd check WSU links here:
http://smallfarms.wsu.edu/crops/berries/currents-gooseberries.html
Note that the USDA Germplasm Repository collection for currants is in
Corvallis, OR, so info from there is based on extensive field
experience. They have ample online resources.
Nurseries in your region that can recommend what should work in Spokane:
Whitman Farm in Salem, OR and Burnt Ridge Nursery (Michael Dolan?),
near Mt. St. Helen.

Hope this helps,
Richard Moyer
Picking more apples and crabapples tomorrow, for a blended sauce.