nafex - [NAFEX] Honeycrisp, was what apples to grow

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp, was what apples to grow
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 18:49:43 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

I've got to agree with Alan on 'Honeycrisp' in warm climates. Here in Zone 8
(piedmont NC)it is one of my family's favorite apples. It is crisp and more
flavorful than any I've purchased from Northern growers, but it doesn't color
as well as in cooler climates. To be fair, I baby it in ways that none of my
other apples are. It doesn't really like the heat in the South, but with
care, it does quite well here.

Anton