nafex - [NAFEX] Dabney and Michigan 437

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "Anton Callaway" <marillen@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Dabney and Michigan 437
  • Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 10:42:25 -0500

Anton,
I've been looking back thru emails I missed, and wish that I'd noticed yours when it arrived. Do you have Warren or Magness? According to the original press release on Dabney it was a fairly early pear, but Chris Inhulsen in central GA says it comes in about the same time as his Warren/Magness crop, and that they like the latter so much better that they mostly process the Dabneys. These varieties appear to come in many weeks apart in Corvallis, but their dates are sometimes pretty screwy..... I'm waiting impatiently for my Dabney tree to crop, scions from Corvallis. One thing I wonder from scrutenizing the original literature and the photos online is whether they mixed up the seeds or rows on Dabney and Ayers. Dabney was supposedly Seckel x Garber, while Ayers was supposedly Anjou x Garber. Ayers looks and tastes a lot more like Seckel, and while I have not tasted Dabney it sure looks a lot more like Anjou. In fact, I don't see any way that something as boring as Anjou crossed with Garber could produce anything as rich tasting as Ayers. I'm looking forward to a "small spreading tree" as Dabney is described, it would make a pleasant contrast to most other pear trees. Chris has something that has made a small tree and is so late that he picks them in Oct down there in GA. I have just one small twig of it, but I have to wonder if it will prove to be Tse Li, known for growing very slowly and being a very late fruit. It has the great big spectacular leaves of a pure oriental pear. I gave a tree to a neighbor so will get to watch it over the years I hope.
Where did you get Michigan 437? I don't see it listed in Corvallis. What kind of pear is it? Thanks. Donna, TN z6