nafex - Re: [NAFEX] peaches and Georgia heat

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] peaches and Georgia heat
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 13:58:09 -0400

On Sep 5, 2010, at 1:54 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:

> OK, I got responses here and elsewhere indicating people are real happy
> with the northeast peach harvest and growers in Texas and elsewhere
> indicated that high heat doesn't hurt peaches until it gets to at least
> 110 F.
>
> But one person involved in viticulture did come up with an interesting
> suggestion. Apparently wine grape quality is damaged by too warm nights-
> not in terms of total brix but as a result of producing grapes with less
> acid. Many people like low acid fruit and most might not miss a reduction
> in the acid content of peaches, but I've always preferred my peaches with
> some acidic bite. Now that I've been presented with this idea it does
> seem that my peaches are cloyingly sweet this year- even the few perfect
> ones with great size and color outside and in.
>
> Unless any of you can debunk this theory I'll think I'll run with it- my
> peaches don't taste as good to me this year as a result of low acid brought
> on by so many warm nights.

Or maybe they are too sweet for your tastes? I live only a little north of
you, in eastern MA, and the peaches here were excellent, but did not lack
acid. I (like you) like a nice acidic bite in my fruit, and I won't buy the
bland white peaches for this reason. I would certainly have missed the acid
if it were lacking in the local crop.

Ginda