nafex - [NAFEX] peaches and Georgia heat

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] peaches and Georgia heat
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 12:54:55 -0500

OK, I got responses here and elsewhere indicating people are real happy with the northeast peach harvest and growers in Texas and elsewhere indicated that high heat doesn't  hurt peaches until it gets to at least 110 F.

But one person involved in viticulture did come up with an interesting suggestion.  Apparently wine grape quality is damaged by too warm nights- not in terms of total brix but as a result of producing grapes with less acid.  Many people like low acid fruit and most might not miss a reduction in the acid content of peaches, but I've always preferred my peaches with some acidic bite.   Now that I've been presented with this idea it does seem that my peaches are cloyingly sweet this year- even the few perfect ones with great size and color outside and in.

Unless any of you can debunk this theory I'll think I'll run with it- my peaches don't taste as good to me this year as a result of low acid brought on by so many warm nights.