nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fruit for Diabetics

  • From: "David Consolvo" <fruitopia@firstva.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fruit for Diabetics
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:58:38 -0400

I think the only difference between apples with their short-term effect on
diabetes
is that the apples with less sweetness would have less effect on blood sugar
shortly
thereafter. Even with a sweet apple, the effect should be small relative to
sweet,
processed foods.

The effect of cider, however, would be substantial as far as raising blood
sugar.
You know how many apples it takes to make cider. A person can drink ten
apples
in the form of cider pretty darn fast, and there is no mitigating bulk to
slow down
absorption.

In the long-term, apples are probably "good for diabetes", or at least Type
II
diabetes (the predominant, less severe type), but no more than other
healthful
foods.

Sorry I have no scientific articles for you, as I have been out of diabetes
research
for 16 years.
David Consolvo
B.S. (Biochemistry), M.D.