nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Vein chlorosis in paw paw seedling

  • From: Alexander Brands <abb7@Lehigh.EDU>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Vein chlorosis in paw paw seedling
  • Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2010 09:19:12 -0400

That's an interesting pattern, not sure if it means there's something
different going on than with my Paw Paws in containers. But mine will
often get yellow and distressed looking in containers, more than other
plants I grow do. I think it just means they're tired of being in the
pot without proper nutrition. Fish emulsion usually fixes it for me,
if I haven't let it go on too long.

I would guess it's either too little/too much water or some sort of
nutrient deficiency which could be corrected with proper
fertilization. It's hard to grow plants in little pots and keep them
as happy as in the ground.

-matt
z5 se MI

Some details I should have included in the original post:

The seedlings are in transparent 3 liter soda bottles, and for most of them (including the chlorotic one), I can't see any roots yet, so it doesn't seem like they are too crowded in their pots yet. I made the potting mix with Osmocote plus, which is a time release fertilizer that includes all the trace elements, and have been supplementing with foliage-pro 9-3-6, which also has all the trace elements.

This seedling has been in an East facing window, side by side with other seedlings that look healthy. It gets a few hours of sun in the morning through a double pane window. The top of the pot is at windowsill level, so the pot doesn't get too hot from the sun.

Alex