nafex - [NAFEX] Softwood Cutting Success Was: black currant productivity

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Softwood Cutting Success Was: black currant productivity
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:59:36 -0400

I read this post at work the morning after I had pruned and harvested
my Titania currants and tossed the cuttings in the hedgerow. After
work I gathered up the cuttings which had been baking in the sun all
day and followed the directions below. Now I have about 10 rooted
currant cuttings!

The roots seems to be growing a bit every day and are about 3 inches
long. I noticed that some of the leaves at the top of the cuttings
dried up and maybe it would be better to cover the jar with a loose
plastic bag or something to increase the humidity along the way.

The process is so easy, it has me wondering what other plants would
root the same way.

I haven't done much propagation before and I was wondering at what
point in the cutting's growth I should try to get them in a pot,
nursery row, or a spot in the field? Along those lines, I was
wondering if someone can email a quick container mix recipe (I know
there are a lot out there). Also, are any general guidelines or
references for growing plants out (bushes and bench grafts) in a
nursery row (fertilization, spacing, etc). It's a topic that doesn't
seem to be covered in any of my fruit growing books. Is it as easy as
putting plants in a garden bed and digging them up when they are
dormant?

Thanks.

-Sherlock
Z4 VT