nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elderberries - caution

  • From: mIEKAL aND <QAZINGULAZA@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elderberries - caution
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:25:06 -0500

I always make sure the berries are off the umbrals before I juice them to make wine....

"The leaves, twigs, branches, seeds and roots contain a cyanide producing glycoside. Ingesting any of these parts in sufficient quantity can cause a toxic build up of cyanide in the body. In addition, the unripened berry, flowers and "umbels" contain a toxic alkaloid."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus

~mIEKAL