nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Elderberries - caution

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Elderberries - caution
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:52:45 -0600

Just a word of caution on elderberries. While the berries are perfectly innocuous, the stems have a toxin in them.  I once ran into an elderberry bush on a very hot, dry hike, and being impatient, stripped the berries off of their umbels with my teeth. Fifteen minutes later I was vomiting very dramatically and I was sick for a couple days.
Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
800-353-4898 day or eve, 7 days
(In NM, 505-281-0684)