nafex - [NAFEX] Was: making a gift, now Korean Giant

  • From: "Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Was: making a gift, now Korean Giant
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 21:59:17 -0500

Chris,
My Korean Giant/Dan Bae also came from Bear Creek Nursery - they grafted all
their
Asian pears onto Harbin pear(P.ussuriensis) rootstock.
It was an exceedingly 'shy' bearer - don't think it ever set more than 3
fruit in a
year, and the Shinko & Chojuro trees 20 ft away were always loaded. Juicy,
yes; but
no appreciable flavor. Disappointing, to say the least - and as many rave
reviews
I've seen from folks on this list, I still have to wonder if mine was
mislabeled.
Once it started blooming, it was a challenge staying ahead of the fireblight
- and
the last year, I didn't; killed that sucker back to the ground. I re-grafted
the
roostock sprouts to something else.

Lucky