nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Danger to fruit trees from oyster mushrooms

  • From: Andriy Palamarchuk <apa3a@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Danger to fruit trees from oyster mushrooms
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 07:35:45 -0700 (PDT)

Donna,
thanks for the response.
I'm a mushroom hunter myself.
I came across beefsteak mushrooms a couple of times and ate once. It looks
strange - like a piece of raw meat hanging on a tree :-) The taste is also
unusual - it is sour. It is said have high content of vitamin C.

The fact that you saw oysters only on sick trees does not prove that they do
not attack healthy plants. Many mushrooms start to fruit only after they
completely colonized the media.
We notice that a tree is infected with oysters only when we see their fruit
bodies, right?
The trees may have been sickened by oysters in the first place and we notice
them only on the advanced stages of infection.

Andriy