nafex - [NAFEX] To Akmanty/Karen

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jimfruth@charter.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] To Akmanty/Karen
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 09:21:45 -0500

Akmanty/Karen wrote, "You mentioned through NAFEX that you don't spray so much; need arm stamina; know what you mean, but am curious if you bag, that is quite time consuming; we did over 800 apples a year ago; what do you use; maybe it would go quicker? We tried bags, but of course the apples didn't color up through the paper; then tried zip lock type bags; bags sweat but most seemed OK."
Karen

When considering the thousands of dollars (or tens of thousands?) that need to be spent on a tractor and sprayer and hazmat suits, plus the cost of the spray, plus the labor, I can pay people to bag hundreds of thousands of apples and still be money ahead. Of course, if I had many acres of trees I might think differently but I only have a few dozen trees.
I use Zip Lock bags because they fasten relatively easily enough to attach bags with only one hand - Zip Lock costs a wee bit more but I buy them in bulk at Sam's Club. Last year we bagged over 2,000 apples. Bagging apples is the only way, that I am aware of, that enables me to sell Organic Apples - customers are willing to pay more for unsprayed fruit. Typically, my bagged apples result in 98% perfect fruit.
As for your bags sweating, you need to snip the two bottom corners. People ask me where the water comes from that accumulates in the bag: Water is the transporting vehicle within the tree. Water brings minerals and stored nutrients from the roots to the leaves and fruits. Water brings sugars to the fruits. In order for the fruits to accept the minerals and nutrients, they need to expel the water. If you fail to clip the corners of the bags, the fruits tend to split open in response to the excess water.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm Market
P.O. Box 799
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.BrambleBerryFarmMarket.com
Jams, Jellies, Syrups & more
1-877-265-6856 (Toll Free)
1-218-831-7018 (My Cell)

  • [NAFEX] To Akmanty/Karen, Jim Fruth, 05/12/2010