nafex - [NAFEX] wind chill on plants

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] wind chill on plants
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2010 09:24:30 -0500

Wind chill is an exaggeration of low temperatures used by TV weather
announcers to get a higher audience for ratings. At least in my
region, northern Minnesota, it is rare to get winds when temperatures
get cold. Wind chill is not the actual temperature. It refers to
how fast a person or mammal is losing heat in moving air. I realize
that it is more exciting to claim the temperature is -55 F when it is
really -40 F. We had a transportation weather center for Minnesota
where I worked and it was always amusing to compare our accurate
weather reportis with the TV reports. The TV guys would often
exaggerate extremes of temperature. That's show business. I talked
to a well known TV weather reporter and asked him why it was such a
bull shitter.
He said he wanted to be promoted.

  • [NAFEX] wind chill on plants, Ernest Plutko, 05/10/2010