nafex - [NAFEX] Korean Giant sweeter than Olympic- different strains?

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Korean Giant sweeter than Olympic- different strains?
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 14:03:38 -0500

Two trees supposedly of the same variety may have different tasting fruit for reasons other than DNA, even if they're growing fairly close together.  Brix is affected lots by access to water, for example, and the contour of top soil, subsoil and/or rock can have a huge affect on water reserves in the soil.  In other words, at many sites the depth of soil varies quite a bit from spot to spot.

More obvious reasons could be a variation in sun exposure or a change in soil texture from one spot to another.  I can think of quite a few other possibilities, but I've experienced plenty of situations where clones from the same nursery have performed differently for no discernible reason.

Of course, an old variety like KG could very well have many strains as well.  Such variation would be hard to sort out on Asian pears- they're not that distinctive to begin with- or maybe I feel that way because I'm not Asian.  All russeted Asians look alike to me!

  • [NAFEX] Korean Giant sweeter than Olympic- different strains?, Alan Haigh, 05/08/2010