nafex - Re: [NAFEX] -40 degree f.

  • From: "Ernest Plutko" <ernestplutko@wiktel.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] -40 degree f.
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 13:06:59 -0500

I'm in zone 2 Minnesota on Canadian border.

Hardy apples for me are Antonovka, Norland, Goodland, and Chestnut
crab. Other Canadian apples are probably hardy.

Centennial and Dolgo are hardy but die from fire blight.

Pears and plums are not hardy except Canada and American wild plums.

Some red raspberries are hardy.

When you are in Alaska ask what is hardy. When I visited Alaska I saw
some apple trees in yards. There are differing micro climates so you
should ask what is hardy on your property. Bears will certainly
break your trees down unless you have an electric fence.