nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fears for crops as shock figures from America show scale of bee catastrophe

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fears for crops as shock figures from America show scale of bee catastrophe
  • Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 10:40:53 -0400

On May 6, 2010, at 11:19 PM, rob hamilton wrote:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/may/02/food-fear-mystery-beehives-collapse

Now Zone 8a!! Atlanta, GA

While I am certainly unhappy to see evidence that colony collapse disorder has spread to Britain, this article is rather hyperbolic.  Even if every honeybee dies, it is unlikely we will live in a world with no meat or fruit or cotton.  It would be very sad to live in a world with no honey, of course, and all those other things might cost more, if alternative ways of getting soybeans and cotton and fruit pollinated cost more.  But there are a lot of other pollinators out there.  I see dozens of insect species working my fruit blossoms in the spring.

Ginda Fisher
Eastern MA, zone 6