nafex - [NAFEX] My Bear Creek Korean Giant, Z6, NY

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] My Bear Creek Korean Giant, Z6, NY
  • Date: Fri, 7 May 2010 17:06:25 -0500

I don't really like Asian pears, although I used to.  Somehow when my Korean Giant began setting huge crops, familiarity bred disinterest-- the lack of aromatics, I think.  Still, KG is the best of the Asians I've tried for northeast conditions where the trick is getting up the sugar.  It does that better or as well an any of the many I've tried and it's texture is the most appealing of any.  Sure I've heard others acclaim the butterscotch flavor of other varieties but none of these pears really work for me.

I do enjoy bringing out KG pears during the holiday season and slicing these melon sized pears into sections and sharing with guests.  Many others love them as I once did.  On these occasions I enjoy them as well.

I got mine from Bear Creek in the early '90's and I'm confident it is true to name having purchased scores of Olympic from Fowlers and ACN- they're identical to my original tree.

I don't get a lot of fire blight here- but when I do, it is always Bosc that is most affected.  Never actually lost a tree to FB here in 20 years of managing what is now thousands of trees.  Not looking forward to any planet warming that changes this.

  • [NAFEX] My Bear Creek Korean Giant, Z6, NY, Alan Haigh, 05/07/2010