nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Fire Blight cure(?)

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Fire Blight cure(?)
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 08:04:25 -0500

I've planted about twenty apple trees, have 5 that have bloomed, but fire
blight has played havoc on them so far. Anyone else having this problem?

I had fireblight last year - really bad on my Suncrisp apple, which seems to be horribly sensitive to it, but also on my Pink Lady apple tree - so this year, I've been spraying the blossoms on all my apple and pear trees with streptomycin sulfate.

I just did a search for it online and ended up buying from this place:

http://www.planetnatural.com/site/index.html

It comes in a 2 oz. tub, which is really small. But you don't use much of it. At least, it looks like this tiny container will last me at least two years. You're supposed to spray every three or four days when the trees are blooming, which is a pain, but it really doesn't take much time.

I don't know how well it will work (I haven't seen any signs of fireblight yet), but it's better than nothing. I was just sick last year of constantly cutting away infected branches - some of them very large - on my trees.

Note that different varieties seem to vary tremendously in their susceptibility to fireblight. My Suncrisp apple is planted in a clump with three other varieties, so there's only a matter of inches between them. But although I battled fireblight on it for a long time last year, I never once saw the disease on any of the others - Honeycrisp, Goldrush, and Fulford Gala.

That could just be chance, of course, but others here have noted the susceptibility of Suncrisp. (Unfortunately, I'd already planted it by then.)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
Republicans originally thought that Fox [News] worked for us, and now we're discovering that we work for Fox. - David Frum