nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujube

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujube
  • Date: Wed, 5 May 2010 10:56:30 -0400

I have little experience with jujube because it's not cold hardy here. Of course, though, I do grow it -- or attempt to grow it. The plant I had in the ground would always die back then resprout in spring. Because the plant flowers late and over a long period, I did actually get fruits. They were from the rootstock and didn't have time to ripen.

I'm now growing jujube in a pot that overwinters in my cool basement.

As George so kindly said, my book on uncommon fruits has a whole chapter on jujube, including some history, cultivation, propagation, and descriptions of many varieties.

I know that there is, or was 30 years ago, a tree fruiting in Washington, D.C. in the garden around the National Botanical Garden in the shadow of the Capitol. I've also heard of Pennsylvanians successfully fruiting jujubes outdoors.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book