nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Hand pollination question

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Hand pollination question
  • Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 10:49:53 -0400

Thanks everyone for the advice. There are three of us in the same situation locally and we're going to try both methods that were recommended in the last couple of days (cut branches placed in water at the base of a tree and using a brush or flower). I'll report back when I can tell if it worked.

A couple of further questions:
 Should the pollen show up on the end of a brush when it is shedding or is it too tiny too see (I can't see any yet)? Also, can pollen be stored for any length of time so that an earlier flowering tree could pollinate a later flowering one?

Thanks again.

-Sherlock