nafex - [NAFEX] hardy mini rootstocks?

  • From: tanis cuff <tanistanis@hotmail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] hardy mini rootstocks?
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 20:54:44 +0000

Can anyone offer recommendations (please-thanks) for this case?

I was just asked to make recommendations for outdoor planters 3' wide by 3'
deep. They are not heated in the winter, but can be watered in the summer.
They are stationery, and already filled with soil. The site has shade and
sun, is exposed and very windy-- maximum punishment in winter and in summer.
The caretakers were hoping for fruit trees, dreaming of espeliar. Or perhaps
something columnar. Max height 15'.

The area is zone 5, but I think any plans for this micro-site should be zone
4. I told the caretakers that I couldn't think of any fruit roostocks which
are as mini as needed, AND as hardy. The last thing I thought-out-loud was
"Hmmm, grapes!" and that sounded good to the person most likely to grow them
there, even if the roots would be a few feet away in better protected soil.

I suggested using large movable pots, but that's impractical. This is for a
public site, volunteer work mostly, except for any heavy equipment. I also
suggested fast-growing annual vines trained vertical, to get a feel for the
public's response, but the site is likely too windy.

Better ideas welcome!

tc, s.WI, where the spring is beautiful

The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
Hotmail.

  • [NAFEX] hardy mini rootstocks?, tanis cuff, 05/03/2010