nafex - Re: [NAFEX] cherry-plums and plums

  • From: Bob Bors <bob.bors@usask.ca>
  • To: 'North American Fruit Explorers' <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] cherry-plums and plums
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 21:00:21 -0600

We are always having dieback on our cherry plums but we have plants 30 years
old. I blame the Sandcherry parent's genetics (the other parent is a plum).
Sandcherries also dieback on a regular basis here. With both there are
usually younger shoot that survive. I think the sand cherry survives the
winter by being under the snow. If it doesn't get that extra insulation it
really suffers.

Dr. Bob Bors
Assistant Professor
Head of the Fruit Program
University of Saskatchewan, Plant Sciences Dept.
51 Campus Drive, Room 2C02
Saskatoon Saskatchewan, S7N 5A8

Fruit program website:
http://www.fruit.usask.ca