nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apples That Bear On One Year Wood

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apples That Bear On One Year Wood
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2010 13:42:33 -0400

"The late Professor Elwyn Meader once sent me a red flesh apple from
Nels Hansen which is probably a selection of Malus Niedzwetzkyana.
One striking feature is it's ability to bear on one year wood. Not
just a flower or a fruit here and there, but clusters at every bud.
Since it's from Siberia, I assume that ability is a reproductive
strategy to allow it to bear quickly if a cold winter kills back limbs.
Has anyone noted this trait in other apple varieties or
species?"

Lon,
I believe my Liberty apple is flowering on new wood. It has only been
in the ground 1 year, and all of the new growth tips are flowering.
Whether it will actually bear this year is another story....

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC