nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw flowers & freeze temp

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pawpaw flowers & freeze temp
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 11:47:28 -0600

Pawpaws fail to set fruit here in TN quite commonly due to spring freezes,
so they seem to be quite sensitive. From my experience, plastic bags can
INCREASE the damage massively. If the bag is clear or white and you can keep
it from touching anything, then it may help. Dark colored material will
radiate heat very efficiently, so it should always be avoided. I have used
double layers of white sheets over mine without issues. I doubt that 32F
would be a problem, but 28-29F for a few hours could do the flowers in.

Hal