nafex - [NAFEX] voles, size and trapping

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] voles, size and trapping
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2010 04:18:17 -0500

 A 6" long vole? Must be a wood rat, which I haven't heard about doing damage to trees.

As far as how to trap, I'll elaborate on what I wrote here a couple of days ago.  I use whole almonds or peanuts as bait in the improved rodent traps sold by Gemplers and cover with a large plastic tray- the black type used for mixing small batches of cement (about 2' long).  Peanut butter gets eaten to quickly by ants here (in fall, not winter)  which will also more slowly consume the whole nuts.  I'll put about 4 traps under each tray including a rat trap under a few of the trays to stop rats or chip monks from springing all the traps and taking the bait.  I move the 8 trays around my property when I stop getting hits at a given site and in about a month and a half I've covered my whole 2 acre nursery.

Before big snows you may want to gather the traps and trays and put back out after snow stops.  The black plastic makes a warm rodent refuge on sunny days.  Here in southeastern NY I begin trapping in mid-Nov which is usually a long while before serious winter weather.