nafex - Re: [NAFEX] trapping voles

  • From: Hilborn.E@epamail.epa.gov
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] trapping voles
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2010 13:32:33 -0400

"I get good control in my 2 acres of fruit tree nursery (mostly apples)
by baiting mouse traps with almonds or peanuts and placing them under
black plastic containers made for mixing concrete in small batches (a
couple feet long a half foot high, or so).  I use about 8 such
containers and 40 traps and move them around in late fall and early
winter.  I'll include a few rat traps to stop wood rats from raiding all
the mouse traps.  It really doesn't take much time, although more than
poison bait. ..."

Alan,

The animals I have identified as voles are very large, their bodies
about 6" long. I can't imagine that a mouse trap would kill them. You
use standard mouse traps? Do they kill or just trap the animals?

Betsy Hilborn
7a NC