nafex - [NAFEX] trapping voles

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] trapping voles
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 08:26:14 -0500

I get good control in my 2 acres of fruit tree nursery (mostly apples) by baiting mouse traps with almonds or peanuts and placing them under black plastic containers made for mixing concrete in small batches (a couple feet long a half foot high, or so).  I use about 8 such containers and 40 traps and move them around in late fall and early winter.  I'll include a few rat traps to stop wood rats from raiding all the mouse traps.  It really doesn't take much time, although more than poison bait.

 Sometimes voles will store large quantities of bait individually before being poisoned which damages efficacy as far as poisoning the "herd"-  they can't do that with traps.  Rozol is the most reliable poison bait around here because it stays edible for a very long time.  If the bait gets wet and moldy it will stop attracting your voles.  Even so, baits must be rotated- the rodents learn.