nafex - Re: [NAFEX] No voles here

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] No voles here
  • Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 10:30:44 -0500

I don't have any voles.

I was wondering about this, too. I THINK there are voles in Nebraska, but I've never had any problem with them. I've got mulch everywhere, and much of it is leaves and straw (along with wood chips), which is probably ideal habitat for rodents, don't you think? And I don't have any dogs or cats (the electric wire to keep squirrels out of my fruit trees does a pretty good job on stray cats, too, I suspect).

However, my yard is absolutely crawling (if you'll excuse the expression) with garter snakes. They spend the winter under my old, detached garage, which has huge cracks in the concrete floor. This time of year, I can rarely work in the yard without seeing snakes. They are nothing but garter snakes (I'd like to get bull snakes sometime), but they'd probably take young voles, at least.

I'm in town, so maybe that's the reason? Are voles more of a rural problem? I still wrap my young trees in the winter, but I haven't seen any damage on bushes - not even on currants, which someone here said are very attractive to voles.

Just curious...

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals. - Winston Churchill