nafex - [NAFEX] coverage of scion w/ paint

  • From: "Mark and Alisha Fehringer" <markandalishafehringer@peetzplace.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] coverage of scion w/ paint
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 13:01:57 -0600

Last spring I asked on this list if anyone had used latex paint as a grafting sealant. No one had any information, so I gave it a try. I grafted apples and pears using mostly whip grafts and bound the graft with rubber budding strips. I then painted the budding strip and the entire scion, including buds, with a good heavy coat of plain ol' interior white latex paint. I suppose I got 80-90% takes. In my previous attempts to graft I bound the graft with tape, and used grafting wax to seal only around the graft and cut end of the scion and got around 5% takes. In my dry climate, the scions dried out before the grafts could take. I like the budding rubbers because they stretch and keep pressure on the graft as it heals. I painted the rubber strip because the sun breaks the rubber down before the graft fully heals.

Mark
Northeast Colorado

  • [NAFEX] coverage of scion w/ paint, Mark and Alisha Fehringer, 04/11/2010