nafex - [NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Apricots from Afghanistan
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 08:22:40 -0400

Great point Scott: is there any way we can tell if the plant has Plum Pox while it is still growing inside the house/quarantined before planting it outside where it could infect local stone fruits?

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB

Sarah, if you search the web you will find many pictures of the leaf damage, if it is as obvious as the samples they show in the pictures it seems pretty easy to detect.  It is also good to look at the map of the world to see where it is present:

I have grown out a few prunus seeds from overseas but only from the non-red countries.  Afghanistan is not red but the government is so fractured there it may be just a lack of information; Iran next door is red.  Overall I feel its best to be very conservative on this disease, it has overrun Chile and it could do the same in the US.

Scott