nafex - [NAFEX] beginner plum panic

  • From: Melissa Kacalanos <mijwiz@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] beginner plum panic
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 11:11:35 -0700 (PDT)

I planted 4 plums last year: the hybrids Toka and La Crescent, and a Prunus americana and a P. maritima. Also, my neighbor has an ornamental purple-leaf plum that bloomed for quite a while last spring. I figured, with this many plums, pollination would be fine. But today, my Toka has just about blossomed, while all the other plums in the neighborhood are still sensibly mostly dormant. Also, my daffodils just popped open today, so we're still pretty early in the season.

Does this mean my Toka is doomed to be an ornamental? I thought P. americana was supposed to be a good pollinator for it, but it has a lot of catching up to do for its bloom time to overlap with Toka's. Of course, I don't even know if it's planning to bloom this year at all, but it isn't breaking dormancy nearly as fast as Toka, which doesn't bode well for future years.

Should I be panicking? Should I graft a branch of some other early-blooming plum onto Toka? Should I be hoping for plum-daffodil hybrids?

Melissa