nafex - [NAFEX] When to plant evergreen and black huckleberry

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] When to plant evergreen and black huckleberry
  • Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2010 20:27:34 -0400

I just got an order of plants from Burnt Ridge Nursery, on the west coast.
It included some evergreen huckleberry and black huckleberry plants. They
are not dormant. (I guess evergreen huckleberry never goes dormant, being
evergreen and all that.) They are in small (1 gal) pots.

My question is when when would be best to plant them. Should it plant them
now when the ground is as reliably wet as it ever gets? Should I leave them
in pots until after the last frost (and bring them inside if it threatens to
freeze)? Something in between?

It's hard to imagine it freezing again this season, since it's in the high
70s and everything is blooming, but the calendar says we should have more
frost.

Thanks,
Ginda
eastern MA, zone 6

  • [NAFEX] When to plant evergreen and black huckleberry, Ginda Fisher, 04/05/2010