nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple preferences of bears

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple preferences of bears
  • Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2010 09:08:14 -0500

From what I've read, I think elephants are worse than bears. They eat entire trees, not just the fruit.

Heh, heh. Yeah, that sounds like a much worse problem, Melissa!

I was wondering about bears being the "absolute worst wildlife problem." It sounds like they can be scared off pretty easily. And they aren't nearly as abundant as deer or squirrels or most problems fruit-growers deal with (as we set up a buffet lunch and then expect no guests to arrive).

But elephants, yeah, they might be a problem. I don't know if they scare off very easily, do they? My netting and chicken wire wouldn't help much, I imagine. And I'd probably have to get a more powerful electric fence than the one I use to keep squirrels at bay.

Hmm,... now that I think of it, tigers might be the "absolute worst wildlife problem," since then I probably wouldn't dare to leave the house!

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

http://garthright.blogspot.com/

--
It's only when the tide goes out that you discover who's been swimming naked. - Warren Buffett