nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple preferences of bears

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple preferences of bears
  • Date: Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:10:11 -0500

Several years ago I stayed for a short time at a house on the lower slopes of Mount Whitney just outside of Lone Pine, California.  There was a semi-wild apple orchard on the property and nearly all the trees were filled with pretty, ripe-looking apples, although not all were palatable.  I went thru the orchard picking apples to eat off of many trees.  The trees with the sweetest and tastiest apples all had bear claw marks on the bark where bears had climbed up into the tree, presumably for the apples.  So, I would say that they like the sweet apples...

Dan

derry&bill wrote:
4BB9087E.5050805@interchange.ubc.ca" type="cite">
Does anyone know of any research done on whether bears prefer red or
green apples or sweet or sour apples?

I know about choosing varieties which ripen early ... ideally before the
bears come down the mountains.

Derry Walsh
with customers in bear country.

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**