nafex - [NAFEX] Lack of mulch

  • From: cevanko@civconinc.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Lack of mulch
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 14:17:51 -0400

Evan said there is no mulch in his area like there is in urban environs.

I use ornamental grass, miscanthus sinensis, for mulch in many areas.  It grows much more quickly than copised trees with I think a higher yield.  The grass I have grows to about 7ft. tall, is somewhat stiffer than straw and lasts all season.  It also has ornamental value.  I let it stand all winter and cut in March with hedge clippers.  I can also divide the clumps at that time.  I am considering this as an alternative to the useless grass on my septic leach field, at least between the tiles.  But I need to research that.

Craig Evankoe

30 mi sw of Chicago

  • [NAFEX] Lack of mulch, cevanko, 03/23/2010