nafex - Re: [NAFEX] 'Bubblegum' plums?

  • From: "Naomi Counides" <naomi@oznayim.us>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] 'Bubblegum' plums?
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:29:25 -0700

But in Zone 2 you can raise popsicles
Naomi

-----Original Message-----
From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Ernest Plutko
Sent: Friday, March 12, 2010 9:20 PM
To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org

I'm in zone 2 and Toka barely makes it. I have two trees and they
both die back a lot in winter. Plums are sparse and sour. In warmer
climate Toka is probably very good. My son lives 250 miles south of
me and I believe he has Toka. I never asked him how they taste. But
I will. I live in a bad place to raise tree fruit. Some apples
varieties do well (but not the good ones) but plums and cherries are
very marginal. Zone hardiness quoted by many nurseries are wildly
optimistic and I consider them to be fiction.