nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Jujubes...

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Jujubes...
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 16:47:22 -0500

My experience is limited, I’ve planted them but not yet had any fruit.   Li and Lang are the most commonly sold varieties but neither is very strongly recommended among people who’ve grown or tried them.  The two most recommended varieties (for eating fresh, not dried) are Sugar Cane and Honey Jar.  They are also pretty difficult to locate for sale.

(Roger Meyer, a NAFEX member and I believe the jujube expert does sell plants of each and I’ll look for his contact info if you’re intetested).

England’s nursery also offers a nice variety of plants, though he offers neither HJ or SC.  Both he and Roger ship well developed plants.  As far as varieties for drying, Lang is likely fine, but again either of those two sources likely offer varieties that are superior in this regard as well.

They are nice, easy and attractive plants.  They suffer from no disease problems, at least not that I’ve experienced or read.

Scott Hills

Zone 6b Michigan