nafex - [NAFEX] grafting native crabs

  • From: "R. Keith Etheridge" <goatdoc@ctitech.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] grafting native crabs
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 19:46:33 -0600

I'm a persistant if not expert grafter.Reasonable success
with pecan,pawpaws,persimmons etc.There are many
native crabapples on my property, According to a book
they are probably Iowa crabs.Trying to graft apples
to  has never been a priority but over the years I have
only one success,It's 15+years with above the graft twice
the diameter as the rootstock and leaning on its side.It's
not productive but in a bad site.I've not had success trying
to graft pears to hawthorne also.Any one had success?
Keith