nafex - Re: [NAFEX] blueberries don't need peat

  • From: "Kieran and/or Donna" <holycow@frontiernet.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] blueberries don't need peat
  • Date: Sat, 13 Feb 2010 20:12:30 -0600

I'm too cheap to buy peat moss.  Every one of my blueberries got a half bushel of old black sawdust at planting time.  They established very nicely and have been mulched only with brush and cedar and pine tops ever since.  No they aren't chipped, but by picking time they've flattened down some and I've used my anvil style clippers (better for dead stuff) to cut up the tree branches somewhat.  Donna