nafex - [NAFEX] is peat moss harvest sustainable?

  • From: Alan Haigh <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] is peat moss harvest sustainable?
  • Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2010 09:40:08 -0500

Someone wrote in recently to ask about alternatives to peat moss for establishing blueberries, and it was asserted by a member that peat moss "mining" represents no ecological threat.  I posted that I was not clear on the issue one way or another, although I was aware of the controversy.  I also asserted that peat moss in not a necessary component of blueberry establishment.

I just noticed an article containing a pretty logical indictment against peat "mining" that might lead to an interesting discussion here.  Here's the link.   http://www.puyallup.wsu.edu/~Linda%20Chalker-Scott/Horticultural%20Myths_files/index.html