nafex - [NAFEX] Opinions on best pawpaw varieties?

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Opinions on best pawpaw varieties?
  • Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 08:33:45 EST

Jay,

I agree with all the answers that you have received.  Yes, pawpaws do perform differently depending upon the circumstances.

Davis was selected by Corwin Davis in Michigan who bred and tested pawpaws for many years. It obviously performed well for him.  Here, zone 5b Central Indiana, when comparing it to most other pawpaws it is very large and very late and I'm not impressed with the flavor. My Shenandoah is not bearing yet, but have tasted it at the pawpaw conference at the University of Kentucky. Sunflower, Prolific and Shenandoah, based on my experience, would be three excellent choices, however not necessarily the best in your area.

Pawpaw being shallow rooted will perform better if irrigated in a dry climate.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] Opinions on best pawpaw varieties?, Jwlehman, 02/03/2010