nafex - Re: [NAFEX] ornamental trees

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] ornamental trees
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 18:00:54 -0500

It also depends on how large a tree would be nice. At the two extremes:
Elms are making a comeback. They are lovely shade trees, grow relatively
fast, and are moderately resistant to air pollution, dog waste, and the
demands of urban life. They get big. On the other extreme, I second the
recommendation for Ameliamcher (sp.? Also known as Juneberry or
Serviceberry) They are a large bush, but make a nice hedge. There's a row
of them in a large planter between my urban employer's parking lot and the
street, and they've done quite well for the last several years (without a lot
of root space, being small trees) and they are very attractive.

Ginda