nafex - [NAFEX] Any Zone 4 Medlar Growers?

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Any Zone 4 Medlar Growers?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 23:23:15 -0500

After too much deliberating trying to pick out a medlar, I placed an
order for a Royal from Raintree. They are out of stock and now I am
thinking that I am throwing away $25 + shipping on a medlar in zone 4
and am considering not ordering a substitute. Does anyone have any
info that can convince me otherwise? I saw that Oikos sells one that
seems to be hardier than the named varieties, but from the
description, it sounds like it is more of a bush than a small tree.
Maybe it could be trained to a central leader?

Add me to the long list of people looking for a cultivar
recommendation of a fruit that shouldn't survive in my region. Sorry
if this question has been addressed before.

-Sherlock