nafex - [NAFEX] Confused about Quinces

  • From: Geoffrey Tolle <Gtolle0709@wowway.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Confused about Quinces
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2010 14:38:27 -0500

Folks:

I admit that I'm more than a little confused about quinces. I know that there are two species involved (quince and flowering quince). I know that some varieties are edible out of hand but that some are sour enough to be used as a lemon substitute. I also believe that one of the species produces a fruit that has the most amazing aroma for weeks as it sits on a counter and ripens.

Could someone either provide a concise summary of quinces or direct me to such a site. I believe that they could be a valuable component in my edible forest garden but I'd like to be more certain of how to use them.

Thanks,

Geoffrey Tolle

  • [NAFEX] Confused about Quinces, Geoffrey Tolle, 01/18/2010