nafex - Re: [NAFEX] old McIntosh

  • From: Kim Maser <prairievines@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] old McIntosh
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:07:34 -0700

Hi Derry/ Bill- PICO up in Summerland has some of the old varieties. If you get a hold of
Wayne Wilson at the Kelowna Museum he can help you as well. Do you have a list of what you
need. There are still some of the original old trees in some sites in the Okanagan.  Jonathon and macIntosh were just a couple of the varieties planted there. If you like contact me I lived there for 20 yrs and did a lot of work with heirloom fruit crops there.

This will help

www.nald.ca/CLR/okanagan/history/6garden.pdf

Cheers

Kim Maser

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca> wrote:
A 18:34 10.01.13 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>The Grist Mill in Keremeos, B.C., is a 'heritage site'.
>
>They want me to reproduce some of the apple varieties which would have
>been grown in that area (hot, dry) in the late 1800s, early 1900s.
>
>Which strain of McIntosh would be the one most likely to be grown at
>that time in that area?
>
>The following is the list of McIntoshes at the Canadian Clonal Genebank
>in Harrow, Ontario (I don't want a spur-strain):
>
>1st gen, Alix, Blackmark, Bright, Caldwell, Gallant, Hamilton Smith,
>Imperial, Kempf, Marshall, Redmax, Rougemont, Smithfield, St Hilaire,
>Sweet, and Witzke.

Derry,
As far as I know, the McIntosh called 1st Generation was taken directly
from the original McIntosh tree and should be identical. Most of the others
are selected sports that have some "improved" feature.

Claude

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions.
----