nafex - Re: [NAFEX] shady ground cover

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] shady ground cover
  • Date: Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:45:23 -0500

On Nov 30, 2009, at 10:57 PM, Jerrydana5@aol.com wrote:

I have a spot quite heavily shaded, on the edge of a woods by a path, I'd like to plant with a bush or ground cover.  Any suggestions?  A bush would be better.  Anything that blooms would be ideal.   Thanks.  Jerry in southern Indiana
_________

Around here, the standard bushes to plant in shade are rhododendron and mountain laurel.  You can find cultivars that will mature to be small, medium, or large bushes, and they have attractive flowers in the spring.  But our soil may be more acidic than yours.  They like low pH, like holly and blueberry.  I think that both rhodies and mt. laurel are poisonous, however.  (So not great fruit sources.)

Ginda