nafex - Re: [NAFEX] currants and white pines

  • From: Lee Reich <lreich@hvc.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] currants and white pines
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 20:14:48 -0500

In researching this question years ago, I learned that cultivated red (and white and pink) currants are generally resistant to white pine blister rust, as are cultivated varieties of gooseberries. That has also been my experience growing many varieties here, where white pines are numerous. European black currants, on the other hand, are very susceptible, although there are some disease resistant or immune varieties.

Lee Reich, PhD

Books by Lee Reich:
A Northeast Gardener's Year
The Pruning Book