nafex - Re: [NAFEX] In Defense of Big Apple Trees

  • From: Drevniok <colleendaly@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] In Defense of Big Apple Trees
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 17:01:23 -0500

Hi Claude,

Did you graft the apple trees yourself Claude? If so, what type of rootstock did you use and where did you source them? I agree, I think
full-sized trees are the way to go (at least for us) coupled with some serious pruning.

Peter Drevniok, Gatineau Qc zone 4

Claude Jolicoeur wrote:
I am with Alan concerning big apple trees. I have many full size Cortland
trees and I think they are great. I don't think such trees may be as
productive as modern intensive orchards, but the quality of the apples is
much better although smaller. For cider, standard trees in my experience
produce apples with greater sugar concentration and better flavor. Unless
you grow apples to earn a living or are extremely limited in space,
standard trees are the best way to go - and even more so in colder climate
and in areas with a lot of snow.
Claude Jolicoeur
Quebec