nafex - [NAFEX] Subject: rootstock suggestions for apples and pears

  • From: "fuwa fuwa usagi" <fuwafuwausagi@muchomail.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Subject: rootstock suggestions for apples and pears
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 14:14:05 -0800

Subject: [NAFEX] rootstock suggestions for apples and pears:

In your area for pears OHxF 333 and 282 are outstanding, a little tarnish
perhaps over the fruit quality over quince with some varieties but I do not
think it is worth quibbling about given all the issues with Quince. No
staking needed for 333 and 282 and fireblight resistance and both can deal
with clay thank you, it just keep the trees smaller.

As for apple I use M27, M26, and M7. Obviously you need to stake M27 and it
is more suitable for espalier training than anything, and you can simply
amend the soil in clay as it will never develop enough of a root system to
trouble you with the native soil. M26 works though I like the smaller trees
of M27. And M7 is simply to much a tree for most home growers unless they
want to dry, make cider, or can, but it works well.

the fluffy one

The Free Email with so much more!
=====> http://www.MuchoMail.com <=====

  • [NAFEX] Subject: rootstock suggestions for apples and pears, fuwa fuwa usagi, 11/09/2009